The Irish Story – Bite Chunks of History
November 8, 2010
The Irish story is bad and getting worse if we are to believe Morgan Kelly in today’s Irish Times.
Maybe it’s time to get some perspective – and some solace – from our history. We can do it online through The Irish Story, a digital first publisher of concise ebooks and short, snappy features on Irish history. Their very first ebook is The Story of the Easter Rising (15,000 words).
In the features and ‘Today in Irish History’ sections we can dip into varied and vivid scenes from our past. Some pieces I enjoyed:
- The Trials and perils of Dublin’s Victorian Policeman
- The Birth of Lady Gregory
- Belfast Blitz
- Bianconi’s first coach service
- Titanic strikes an Iceberg
- Four ‘Bloody Sundays’ in 20th century irish History.
Dip into the stories and maybe you’ll come out with a sense of perspective on our contemporary tale of woe. Worth a try.
Photo credit: informatique photostream